UO Records Management, in partnership with UO Libraries Special Collections and University Archives, works with a vendor to offer storage and scanning services. To start the conversation, please complete the Records Management Service Request form.
Before shredding paper or deleting e-mails, word documents, .pdf or other files or data received or created by the University of Oregon, be sure these are not subject to retention requirements. UO uses an organization-wide Records Retention Schedule (RRS) to guide its recordkeeping.
If the material being disposed of are records;
- Request a disposal log by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and complete it in partnership with your unit's Records Steward. Do not destroy any records yet.
- Email the completed disposal log to email@example.com with the subject line Disposal Request.
- Once you receive authorization, proceed with disposing of the records described in the log.
Records Management maintains the university’s contracts for confidential shredding services and covers the cost of routine confidential paper shredding.
Garten Services provides secure shred bins to offices for confidential shredding for the Eugene campus. To get a new bin, or have your existing bin emptied, please contact Garten directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and identify yourself as a unit/dept under UO’s contract. The phone number is (541) 868-1550 ext. 3700.
Relay Resources provides confidential shredding services for the Portland campus. For services, please contact email@example.com, or (503) 408-3035.
Appropriate disposal of any documentation that bears confidential information
Regardless of whether the material being disposed of are record copies or duplicates, employees are asked to confidentially dispose of documentation that contains
- personally identifiable information,
- medical information,
- trade secrets,
- financial information, or
- are otherwise considered "confidential by law or are confidential by law and negotiable instruments (even when canceled or satisfied in writing)," as noted in OAR 166-030-0060 by confidential shredding.